Moving day is drawing near, and it’s time to get packing! The task of labeling your moving boxes might seem obvious, but having a system for labeling your boxes can help make moving day go more smoothly than you ever imagined. While there’s no one-size-fits-all approach for labeling boxes, choosing the right method can help streamline the process and keep you in control on moving day and beyond.
Here are a few labeling ideas to save you from losing your mind (and your Grandma’s fine china:)
- Prioritize. You’ll probably need your alarm clock before you need your Grandma’s china. So, labeling each box with a different priority will provide an easier method for you to navigate through the task of unpacking. Writing “high” or (“H”) on boxes, along with the designated room will indicate that you need to open it immediately. Save “medium” and “low” priorities for items that you can wait to unpack after the dust from the moving truck settles.
- Color your world. Creating a color system with markers or tape can give you a quick visual when you begin to unpack. With your colored markers in hand, begin by assigning a color for each room or space. (For example, Red = Kitchen, Blue = Living Room.) Labeling your rooms with corresponding colored signs will help your movers know where to go on moving day and ensure that your kitchenware doesn’t end up in the rec room.
- Make it as easy as 1,2,3. If spreadsheets are your jam, consider a numbering system. You’ll save yourself a lot of writing time. Create a simple reference list that matches the rooms in your new home with the numbers on your spreadsheet. Write that number on the box on at least two sides and add it to your list, along with its contents. This process can be a time saver but make sure to keep your list in a safe spot so it’s not lost on moving day!
Extra labeling tips:
- Don’t wait. To boost your overall efficiency and avoid frustration, label your boxes as soon as they’re packed. Whether you’re moving next Monday or a month from now, It’s easy to get distracted when you’re packing and you certainly don’t want to have to unpack a box before moving day to remember what you put in there.
- Placement is key. Mark your boxes on at least two sides so your movers can easily see the labels. This can be especially helpful when you plan to use a storage vault or you don’t plan to unpack some of your boxes for a while.
- Be Consistent. Whatever system you choose, stick with it. Consistent labeling and placement will help your movers work as quickly and efficiently as possible when moving day rolls around.
Whether you’re moving across country or across the street, these simple solutions can help you crush it on moving day. Pick a system that fits your personal style, stick with it and stay organized and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how smooth the unpacking process can be.
There are plenty of moving companies in Indiana. Choosing experienced, compassionate and professional movers can make all the difference when the big day comes around. Jay’s Moving Company takes pride in making your move with them “The Best Move You’ll Ever Make.” Jay’s is a Hoosier-owned company that’s been proudly serving Indiana since 1951. For more information about Jay’s services and pricing, visit our website.